Robert and Nathan Hyde pattern book, 1771.

Hyde 1152-1160 aI recently visited Quarry Bank Mill near Wilmslow, Cheshire, one of the early water-powered cotton spinning mills, built on the River Bollin in 1784 to house the mechanical spinning frames invented by Richard Arkwright a decade and a half earlier. Now a National Trust property with working machinery, it also hosts an archive, which includes, on loan, the pattern book of the firm of Robert and Nathan Hyde of Manchester, dated 1771. This is one of a handful of pattern books from the late 1760s and early 1770s circulated by Manchester merchants as they developed a direct export trade, independent of London.* Others are in the USA, at the Henry Francis du Pont Winterthur Museum in Delaware and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. All these books contain a similar range of textiles, representative of the finished goods then being manufactured in Lancashire. The Hyde book includes checks, stripes, silk mixes, diapers, dimities, tapes, fustians, jeans, corduroys, thicksets, and worsted shags and plushes. Missing from this and the other books are printed textiles, because at this date most printing of Lancashire-made fabric was undertaken on the outskirts of London. The surprising feature of the textiles in these pattern books is the relatively small proportion of cotton yarns. The checks consist predominantly of linen yarns, with only some of the coloured yarns spun from cotton. The stripes, the dimities and the fustians (insofar as it is possible to see the individual yarns) are mostly woven half from linen yarns, and half from cotton yarns. We know from other sources that the same was true of Lancashire-produced ‘cotton’ fabric used for printing. It seems likely, therefore, that in the early 1770s what we often refer to as the Lancashire cotton industry was actually weaving textiles containing more linen yarn than cotton yarn. Thanks to Philip Sykas of Manchester Metropolitan University for organizing the visit and to Alkestis Tsilika from Quarry Bank’s archive.

* For more on this, see Peter Maw, ‘Yorkshire and Lancashire ascendant: England’s textile exports to New York and Philadelphia, 1750-1805, Economic History Review, 63 (2010), pp. 734-768.

This entry was posted in Spinning Project. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Robert and Nathan Hyde pattern book, 1771.

1. beverlypier says:

I’m an expert writer who loves to bring smiles to people’s face.

Writing is what I do for a living and I am so passionate about this. I have worked with several organizations whose goal is to help people solve problems.
    I love traveling and have visited several places in the past few years.
    I’m happy to have written several books that have contributed positively to the lives of many. My works are available in several parts of the world. And I’m currently working with service providers that help people save energy. Being a part of this team has open more opportunities for me to excel as a writer. I have worked with different people and met many clients as a writer.
    I can handle any kind of writing project and provide nothing but the best. People come to me all the time to ask if I can solve their writing problems and I accept. I find pleasure in helping them to solve their problems as a professional.

Professional Academic Writer – Beverly Pierce – Sergreport Confederation

2. jeanhartm says:

My name is Jean. And I am a professional Content writer with many years of experience in writing.

My primary goal is to solve problems related to writing. And I have been doing it for many years. I have been with several organizations as a volunteer and have assisted in many ways.
    My love for writing has no end. It is like the air we breathe, something I cherish with all my being. I am a passionate writer who started at an early age.
    I’m happy that I`ve already sold several copies of my works in different countries like England and others too numerous to mention.
    I also work in a company that provides assistance to many students from different parts of the world. Students always come to me because I work no matter how complex their projects are. I help them to save time, because I feel happy when people come to me for professional help.

Academic Writer – Jean – Byrumsocialstudies Confederation

3. ambercrou says:

Thanks for visiting,
    I’m Amber Crouch.
    If you’ve ever been too tired and couldn’t finish a academic paper, then you’ve come to the right place. I help students in all areas of the writing steps . I can also write the assignment from start to finish.
    My career as a scholarly writer started during high school. After learning that I was very talented in the field of academic writing, I decided to take it up as a profession.

Talented Academic Writer- Amber Crouch- Vahealthchartbook Team

4. lianaly says:

Hello and welcome to my website . I’m Liana Lynn.
    I have always dreamed of being a writer but never dreamed I’d make a career of it. In college, though, I helped a fellow student who needed help. She could not stop complimenting me . Word got around and someone asked me for to help them just a week later. This time they would compensate me for my work.
    During the summer, I started doing research papers for students at the local college. It helped me have fun that summer and even funded some of my college tuition. Today, I still offer my writing skills to students.

Academic Writer – Liana Lynn – Literaturematters Corp

5. janawood says:

Welcome to my blog ! I’m Jana Woods.
    Even though I jokingly credit my mother for my writing talent, I know that it is a talent I have fostered from childhood. Though my mother is a writer, I also started out young.
    I’ve always had a way with words, according to my favorite professor . I was always so excited in English when we had to do a research assignment .
    Now, I help current pupils achieve the grades that have always come easily to me. It is my way of giving back to students because I understand the obstacles they must overcome to graduate.

Jana – Academic Writer – Csnbiologyclub Confederation

6. simonaor says:

Hi Everybody
    Thanks for checking out my writing website . My name is Simona.
    I have worked a long time in this niche. My aptitude for writing started at a young age. I wrote poetry as a child and eventually went on to work with my school newspaper.
    This early tryst into reporting eventually led me to academic writing. There is plenty of work for skilled writers. I specialize in research papers , but have the skills to do all types of academic writing.
    Reach out for more information about rates and a price quote. I’m looking forward to helping you.

Academic Writer – Simona – Desalescollege Band