- Paper: Re-fashioning Industrial Revolution: Fibres, fashion and technical innovation in British cotton textiles, 1630-1780
- Article: The Rise and Fall of the Spinning Jenny
- “Our traitorous money makers”: the Yorkshire coiners and the law, 1760-83
- Robert Allen’s spinning jenny is still broken.
- Spinning little stories about the High Wage Economy.
Author Archives: Alice Dolan
Thanks to Christian and Johannes Zinzendorf (and Linda Eaton who arranged it and drove me!) I finally achieved a two year ambition, to turn flax stems into fibre. Christian and Johannes have been growing and processing flax since the 1980s, … Continue reading
After testing out my practical skills on the intensive textile course at the TRC, Leiden, I bought flax seeds to try some experimental archaeology. I grew flax successfully last year, with the basic aim of getting a better understanding of … Continue reading
In May 2012 John and I visited the excellent Textile Research Centre (TRC) in Leiden, Holland to take the Intensive Textile Course with six other people run by Dr. Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood. The course provides a highly practical introduction to textiles … Continue reading